Friday, June 21, 2013

Phalaenopsis corningiana

I was lucky enough to snag a corningiana recently. According to Peter Lin of Big Leaf Orchids from whom I purchased the plant, this is a line bred sib-cross from Chien Lung Liu. Disclaimer: I got this as a flowering plant (with three spikes!) but because I think it is a recent import, I could tell that it was just repotted in sphagnum and is not established at all. Nonetheless, the flowers have great color with strong markings. So far, they have yet to put out any detectable fragrance... (*Update 1800hr: it smells amazing, and could only be described like so: Holy-mother-of grape soda candy bubblegum!!)














As with the other phals, I'm focusing on vegetative growth so this plant is in a 'spa' bag of its own. However, I do get the pleasure of updating my species list!

Borneo Phalaenopsis species list 002

Phalaenopsis amabilis
Phalaenopsis appendiculata
Phalaenopsis bellina
Phalaenopsis borneensis
Phalaenopsis cochlearis
Phalaenopsis corningiana
Phalaenopsis cornu-cervi
Phalaenopsis deliciosa
Phalaenopsis doweryensis
Phalaenopsis fimbriata
Phalaenopsis fuscata
Phalaenopsis gigantea
Phalaenopsis lamelligera
Phalaenopsis maculata
Phalaenopsis mariae
Phalaenopsis modesta
Phalaenopsis pantherina
Phalaenopsis sumatrana

*The species highlighted green are the ones I currently have.

No comments:

Post a Comment