Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Grow area

I'm current growing indoors, by a windowsill in the dining area with no artificial lighting. This window faces South and the phals seem to like the indirect light. Later in the summer, there will be some direct sunlight in the evening. My hope is that these phals will adapt and flower in this condition without supplemental lighting. Others windowsill growers have grown and flowered both species and hybrids by their windows, so this gives me hope!
















As for temperature and humidity, I'm using the relatively cheap 'Acurite 00325' monitor and you can see it hanging out close to the tray on the right. I'm keeping growing conditions between 72F (night) and 85F (day) in this time of the year, while the humidity ranges greatly between 40% and 60% RH (Relative Humidity). Humidity is a little out of my control at this point. In the winter, I hope to acquire a humidifier to assist with keeping the RH at around 40%.

The main goal now is to help the plants acclimate to current conditions and to see if they will start growing good root systems. This usually involves a lot of waiting for Phalaenopsis, but one can only hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment