Sunday, August 18, 2013

Primary hybrids of Phalaenopsis corningiana

Right now, I'm on corningiana primary hybrid kick. I have obtained three of these so far. There's something about the color and fragrance that these hybrids can potentially produce that draws me to them, I suppose. In two of these primaries, venosa and lueddemanniana are not Borneo phals per-se but they are 50% corningiana and are hence blogged because of this parentage.
  1. Phal. Dragon's Fire (Phal. corningiana x Phal. venosa)
  2. Phal. Corning-Cervi (Phal. corningiana x Phal. cornu-cervi)
  3. Phal. Chienlung Luedgiana (Phal. corningiana x Phal. lueddemanniana)
It's surprising how dominant Phal. corningiana is in most of these crosses and I'm looking forward to flowering out these guys out to see if this holds true. Among the three, I'm most interested to see how my Corning-Cervi turns out. In the meantime, they need to keep putting on weight!

The Chienlung Luedgiana came in bud and opened its first flower this weekend. So far, I don't smell anything yet, but I'll update if this turns out to be fragrant.

*Update: The bloom is fragrant! I smell mostly a lily-like scent with cinnamon and a very slight hint of the grape flavor that I really like from corningiana.. I'm not a fan of the lily smell unfortunately :/























The second bud on the Phal. Chienlung Luedgiana opened this week. The fragrance is more perceptible in the morning and is more grape-flavored than a week ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment